Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The gODS

If I have been able to live through this internship at Yahoo! inc. , thus far, in this cursed city of Bangalore, then it is solely because I, a mere mortal, have been graced enough, to spend my time here, in the divine and benign presence of three gods.

I used to be a fool earlier ... a sinner ... a blasphemous blotto, wasting away my life in ignorance of the fact that these very three immortal gods were right there, all along, for my salvation. Fortunately, this Bangalore trip made me realize and appreciate this fact, and now, I can truly say that I have been graced! These gods manifest themselves, here on earth, in human form, in the unique, and rather diversified, forms of Mohit Mittal, Gagandeep Singh and Abhishek Arora. Like I said, their forms are rather diversified: Mittal is tall, stooped, apologetic and pigeon footed; Arora is short, squat, tubby and confident; Gagan is soft spoken, and of medium build, medium height and medium confidence. Deceivingly human, but gods nevertheless ....

The gods are here for my salvation. Two of them, Mittal and Gagan, sit on either side of my desk, to provide for easy remedy of any of my problems related to Linux/C++, which are numerous, manifold, trivial, frustratingly trivial, exasperatingly trivial and trivial on the verge of permanently branding me a blemish in the name of Computer Science and Engineering, at IITD. These two gods generally alternate between each other, in listening to music, and so when one god is listening to music on the headphones, I approach the other god to help me. If, by some unfortunate circumstance, both these gods are simultaneously listening to music, I holler out across the cubicles to the third god, Arora, who sits a couple of cubicles away. In the end, one of them is always there for my salvation!

The music these gods listen to is ethereal, and primarily consists of heart stoppingly fleshy videos of such illustrious artists as Akon, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, The Pussycat Dolls and The New Virgos. In between rescuing fallen souls, such as mine, these gods spend most of their time here at Yahoo! inc. sleeping, eating, watching Japanese animes, listening to the aforementioned music and their corresponding videos, kicking each others arses, taking intermittent coffee and pool breaks, Orkutting, chatting, and whenever they have nothing else to do, quickly finishing off the trivial work assigned to them at Yahoo! inc. Like the greek gods, these ones also spend most of their time in pointless infighting and multi-pronged efforts to psyche each other out. The primary allabys for this kind of infighting are failed friend requests sent random girls on orkut, the HR chicks floating around office, and any other chink visible in their armour. Oft, when they reach a stalemate, they redirect their angst and ire against me, a helpless soul in the face of all this flak. I see stars when they do that ...

But nevertheless, they are gods. Temperamental, moody, funny and hilarious gods. And they are here for my salvation. And so I shall be ever grateful to them ... the gODS!

No comments: