Sunday, July 8, 2007

Joshua

I had the privilege of seeing Joshua Grant, in action, for the first time in my life, last Saturday evening, at an AU concert, here in Bangalore. Performing with him were Siddhant and Chintamani, the guys in whose studio, Feedback did their recording.

Well, I had heard about Joshua before, from Mridul, Siddhant, Chintamani and Suri. I had heard, of an amazingly refined jazz drummer, who could shred metal and rock too. I had heard of, his insane spasms, which leave you wondering at what exactly he had played. I had recorded the drums on "Introspect", on one of his TAMA kits, and remember Akshat, remarking on the stick hit marks, spanking fair and square, bang, right in the middle of the snare, "This has to be Josh's practicing!".

And on Saturday evening I saw all that! What technique, what control, what phrasing, what style, what out-of-control tom rolls, what amazing odd beat pattern grooves, what ghost notes, what NOT!

I consider myself lucky to have finally seen Joshua in action; without any further ado, he straight away goes into my list of drumming inspirations!

No comments: